Wednesday, April 30, 2008

TV Violence Effects Children

This is a recurring issue in this day and age with all the violence that goes on on a daily basis. When the school shooting happened at Colombine High School everybody was trying to figure out who it is we should be blaming for the shooters actions. Is it the parents, the media, or maybe video games. I would like to know what you think? Do you think that video games can create killers? Do you think all the violent movies children see have something to do with the way they will act in the future? Many studies have been done but still there seems to be no conclusions drawn. "Fifty years of research on the effect of TV violence on children leads to the inescapable conclusion that viewing media violence is related to increases in aggressive attitudes, values, and behaviors. The changes in aggression are both short term and long term, and these changes may be mediated by neurological changes in the young viewer. The effects of media violence are both real and strong and are confirmed by the careful reviews of research evidence by various scientific and professional organizations that are concerned with children's mental health and development" I personally think that we cannot solely blame television or video games for the crimes that people commit. I have always thought it starts at home with the partents. I don't think you can just blame it on the media. I know I have played the most violent games I can get my hands on and see the most violent movies possible and I haven't killed anyone. I think it has everything to do with the home the children grow up in. What some of your thoughts on this issue? Make sure you read this journal for further insight. http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?vid=8&hid=105&sid=bf4faebb-c52c-4a7f-9d55-79b27ddcea53%40sessionmgr107

1 comment:

Wsmith said...

Great post regarding the problem ... I can not understand why people are not willing to look at the truth that is right in front of them.

I've posted an excerpt of your article to Jeremiah Films Internet Buzz it works like a digg clone in that people can vote for articles. Take a look if you have time.